7th Annual ‘Take A Kid’
Hunting & Trout Fishing Competition
RULES & CONDITIONS – PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
Parents/Guardians are responsible for ensuring the necessary licences are obtained.
• Official Entry Form must be completed fully by parent/guardian, only official entry forms accepted. Entrants must participate in the hunting and fishing.
• Entry fees must accompany official entry forms. Paid entry is acceptance of all rules and conditions.
• Entry forms and fees to be received no later than Wednesday 23 September 2015 being the closing time for all entries.
• No Late Entries Accepted.
• No refunds after Wednesday 23 September 2015 or upon disqualification.
• Organisers, judges and scrutineers decision is final and reserve the right to deny entry.
• Weigh in on Sunday 4 October 2015 from 11am – 2pm, no late arrivals accepted.
• Animals of equal recorded weights, the first weighed in takes superior honour.
• No mutilated animals, all game must be of edible condition, no decomposing game will be accepted, no frozen game, chilled is okay.
• All game must be of feral origin, open to all areas of the North Island, no tame or domesticated animals. Judges reserve the right to reject suspect game.
• All animals must be caught/shot within the dates specified 1 -
• Animals remain the property of the contestant and MUST be removed by the contestant after prize giving (all animals will have tags with contestants name and/or entry number on them).
• Prizes will only go to those present at prize giving. All prizes can only be given if parent/guardian is present.
• Liability to the public – NO liability is accepted for the damage to any vehicle or property or loss of property or personal injury or damage of whatever nature to any person however caused from the start of this competition through to the end of prize giving, by the organizers or sponsors. All competitors entering any events do so at their own risk.
ADDITIONAL RULES & CONDITIONS
Main Event: Age 5 – 15 years
• One animal per person per category, e.g. 1 boar, and/or 1 red stag, and/or 1 fallow stag, and/or 1 sambar stag, and/or 1 sika stag, and/or 1 goat, and/or 1 trout.
• BOARS WILL ONLY BE WEIGHED WITH OFFAL AND BALLS REMOVED, PLEASE ENSURE THIS IS DONE PRIOR TO WEIGH IN TO EASE CONGESTION AT WEIGH STATION.
• Boars only, no barrows, no sows. Minimum weight for boars 25kg.
• Goats are to be fully gutted.
• Goat heads on their own will not be accepted.
• All entrants will be holders of a current fishing licence, and will abide by the conditions of the current “Anglers Notice”.
• Contestants will NEED to produce their fishing licence at the weigh in – no fishing licence, no weigh in.
• Wellington Fish & Game personnel will oversee the trout weigh in.
• Fishing licences can be purchased prior to the competition from local sports shops.
• All fish to be gutted.
Red, Fallow, Sambar and Sika Stags
• Stags only, no hinds.
• Stags must have heads on. Exceptions:
* For ease of retrieval heads may be cut off and weighed with the body on the day:
• LEGS, PISSEL AND ALL OFFAL REMOVED.
• Trophy Shoulder Mounts – please cape as per instructions below then weigh in with the body
SKINNING GAME HEADS FOR WALLMOUNTS
The most common mistake made by hunters removing a cape is not allowing enough skin behind the shoulders to work with. Proper field care on the hunter’s part ensures a good job performed by the Taxidermist. Try to avoid shooting a potential mount in the head. The damage done by the bullet is hard, if not impossible, to repair.
1) Do not cut the animals throat.
2) Make all cuts neat and accurate as possible.
3) The first cut is down along the spine starting between the ears.
4) Then go around the circumference of the animal followed by around the leg joint,
up the back of the leg and across to the circumference cut as shown.
5) Neatly skin off body starting at the back and work your way forward. Don’t pull at the skin.
6) Severe the head off at the neck joint.
7) Once off, lay out to cool for 10 minutes.
8) Most Taxidermists prefer to skin out the face themselves.
Secondary Event: Age 2 – 15 years
• One animal per person per category (except magpies and mighty 3) – e.g. 1 possum, and/or 1 rabbit, and/or 1 hare.
• Unlimited numbers, heaviest combined weight wins.
• 1 possum and 1 rabbit and 1 hare. Heaviest combined weight of the 3 animals wins. Entry is automatic if all 3 species are weighed in.
Mustelids Event: Age 5 – 15 years
• Unlimited numbers of ferrets and/or stoats and/or weasels, most of combined total wins.
Rodent Event: Age 2 – 10 years
• Unlimited numbers of rats and/or mice, heaviest combined weight wins.